Water is the single most important nutrient we consume and a person cannot live more than a week without it.
The old way of thinking was “drink 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water daily”, 8 X 8=64 ounces.
The truth is you can get almost all the water you need from FOOD? Yes!
Myths and Truths About Water Consumption:
- Myth: need to drink 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water daily.
- Truth: most individuals can get all the water they need from their diet alone.
- Myth: increasing water consumption can facilitate weight loss.
- Truth: consuming more water through water rich foods can reduce hunger, lowers calorie intake by feeling satisfied from hunger.
- Myth: you can not drink TOO MUCH water.
- Truth: if you drink too much water you can cause some very serious health problems.
- Myth: forcing yourself to drink more water during the day is healthy for you.
- Truth: our own thirst mechanism adequately tells us when we need more water intake (with two exceptions).
The New Guidelines on Getting The Water You Need To Stay Hydrated:
- Eat greater proportions of water rich foods, fruits and vegetables (most are 90% water!) and this will help you stay hydrated.
- Replace caloric beverages, particularly those with a high sugar content, with water rich foods which is much healthier for you.
- Consume more foods high in water content and have significant health benefits, and it will make you feel full faster.