Each year over 200,000 Americans are hospitalized for the serious complications from the flu and there were over 14,000 deaths resulting from the flu last year!
How can you protect yourself?
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses.
- While there are many different flu viruses, the flu vaccine protects against the three viruses that research suggests will be most common.
- The 2011-2012 vaccine will protect against an influenza A H3N2 virus, an influenza B virus and the H1N1 virus that emerged in 2009 to cause a pandemic.
- Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine as soon as the 2011-2012 vaccines are available.
- Vaccination of high risk persons is especially important to decrease their risk of severe flu illness.
- People at high risk of serious flu complications include young children, pregnant women, people with chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease and people 65 years and older.
- Vaccination also is important for health care workers, and other people who live with or care for high risk people to keep from spreading flu to high risk people.
- Children younger than 6 months are at high risk of serious flu illness, but are too young to be vaccinated. People who care for them should be vaccinated instead.
What’s Stopping You From Getting Vaccinated!
- There are now hundreds of Pharmacies in Denver and many in your city that offer flu vaccines.
- Many offer walk-in customers.
- Many have evening and weekend hours.
- Most accept the major insurance plans.
- And after your shot, you can get discounts on groceries and other goods or even free doughnuts and coffee!