In 1970 1 in 20 children were considered obese (defined as weighing 20% or more than their ideal weight)
NOW, 1 in 5 are considered obese and 1 in 3 are overweight!
The complications from this problem are not only physical but social and emotional for our kids.
The cause is simple, our children are eating too much and exercising too little.
We can fight this epidemic!
Seven Steps To Healthier Children:
- Model healthier eating: eat healthy by example and show them how to pay attention to when you are full.
- the home environment: change what you keep in the house to healthy, non processed foods, and limit the sweets.
- Use appropriate rewards: never use a food reward for recognizing an accomplishment and find reasons to praise their efforts.
- Monitor behavior: kids have feelings, be non-judgemental in the way you bring attention to the good and the bad.
- Sit down meals: reclaim control of what your kids are eating early on.
- Exercise is wise: do this by example, as a family unit, and through encouraging school activities and sports.
- Limit TV/recreational computer use: limit this and other sedentary activities to less than 2 hours a day.